Thursday 16 January 2014

Hi! I'm Nicky


Nicky and Storm - Photo Thierry Vincent

I’d always toyed with the idea of taking the shoes off my pony but never wanted to take the time off of riding that I thought a transition to barefoot would require. When he had to have time off for a suspensory ligament injury I figured this was a perfect opportunity to have his shoes removed and start him on his barefoot journey.  As his ligament problems changed his way of moving and holding himself his feet started to change shape and in the end they were pretty deformed. I started to read up about different approaches to trimming and got in touch with an Equine Podiatrist to see if they could help. His feet started to improve ever so slowly and I became more and more interested in what was happening to his hooves.

To cut a long story short I signed up on the Equine Podiatry training course and in 2 years I learnt more about a horse’s hooves and management than I ever thought possible!

I now trim part-time and love the challenge of working out the best solution for each horse I work with and I have a real soft spot for working with ponies and donkeys.


No comments:

Post a Comment